Huevos Rancheros is a traditional breakfast dish consisting made of eggs served in rural Mexico. The basic dish consists of fried eggs served upon fried corn or flour tortillas. Its topped with a salsa made of tomatoes, chili peppers, onion, and cilantro. Refried beans, Mexican-style rice, and guacamole are common accompaniments. This low carb breakfast version tastes just as good as the traditional Huevos Rancheros dish but without all the added carbs.
This is a really easy low carb breakfast recipe to make. Make sure to pick avacados that are just ripe. To check if an avacado is ready to eat, gently squeeze the avocado without applying pressure from your fingertips, as this can cause bruising. If the avocado yields too firm, gentle pressure, it is ripe and ready to eat. It is recommended to refrigerate the guacamole and salsa for at least an hour. This allows the flavors to settle in.
- 2 tbsp jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tomato, diced
- Salt to taste
- 2 avacado
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 red onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 eggs
- Step 1 Guacamole
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, mash together avocados, lime juice, and salt.
- Step 3 Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Step 4 Refrigerate for up to an hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
- Step 5 Salsa
- Step 6 Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Step 7 Sauté onion for few minutes until it turns golden brown.
- Step 8 Add garlic and jalapeño, saute for a few minutes.
- Step 9 Add in diced tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Step 10 Add the bell pepper and saute until the peppers have softened slightly. Set aside.
- Step 11 Eggs
- Step 12 Heat oil in a pan over low heat.
- Step 13 Crack an egg and slowly add it to the skillet.
- Step 14 Cover the pan and cook until the whites are completely set but the yolks are still runny about 3 minutes.
- Step 15 Slide the eggs out of the pan and onto a plate.
- Step 16 Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 17 Recipe Notes
- Step 18 Use less jalapeño for milder version of this recipe.