This low carb tortilla recipe is super easy to make and is a great alternative for tortillas made with corn or wheat flour.
My family and I fell in love with Mexican food after several trips to Mexico to visit our cousins. We visited several small towns in Mexico where we had some amazing authentic food and drinks. Some of the best tasting dishes were served by street side vendors.
Recipe first seen on Indian Scene Magazine
Since our return, I’ve tried to recreate some of the dishes with healthier options as most Mexican dishes are served with higher carb items such as Mexican rice, tacos or tortillas. For those that are watching their carb intake or on a lower carb diet, this version of low carb tortilla made will almond flour and coconut flour will not disappoint.
For more low carb recipes click here
Low Carb Tortilla
- Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup almond
- 3/4 cup flaxmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Wet Ingredients
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup of luke warm water
- Step 1 Place all dry ingredients including the seasonings into a bowl and mix them until all the ingredients have been combined well. Now add one cup of luke warm water to the dry ingredients and knead the dough well with your hands. Add one to two tablespoons of water if needed. Take care not to add too much water as that will make the dough sticky and hard to roll. Let the dough rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Step 2 Remove the dough from the fridge and split the dough into equal size balls. Cut up a ziplock bag along the outer edges and place it on a tortilla press. This is to prevent the dough from sticking to the sides of the tortilla press and also for easy removal of the dough from the tortilla press. I used this 8 inch cast iron tortilla maker. Place the dough between the ziplock bag and roll it out until its very thin.
- Step 3 Preheat a cast iron or a heavy bottomed pan. Grease the pan with some ghee. Once the pan is hot, place the rolled-out tortilla on the pan and cook over medium heat until its lightly brown. Flip the tortilla and cook for another minute. Take care not to overcook the tortilla as they may become too crispy.
- Step 4 Freshly homemade low carb tortillas are now ready.
- Step 5 Enjoy them with your favorite Mexican fillings !!!