This Spicy Shrimp roll with peanut sauce is similar to Vietnamese spring roll. Vietnamese spring roll or cold roll is a Vietnamese dish traditionally consisting of pork, prawn, vegetables, rice vermicelli, and other ingredients. The wrap is made of Vietnamese bánh tráng (commonly known as rice paper or cold roll). This version of lower carb spring roll with spicy peanut sauce omits the rice vermicelli. When following a strictly low carb diet you can replace the rice paper wrap with cabbage to wrap the roll and omit the shredded carrots.
This is a great way to add a lot of fresh spring vegetables to your diet. The mint and cilantro add a refreshing flavor to the recipe. You can dip the spring rolls in the spicy peanut sauce that’s just heavenly. You can reduce the spiciness of the sauce by adjusting the amount of Sriracha/sambal paste.
Recipe first seen on Indian Scene Magazine
Spicy shrimp roll with peanut sauce
- Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 garlic crushed
- Spring Roll
- 12 rice paper sheets
- 2 carrots julienned
- 2 cucumber cut lengthwise without seeds
- 1 red pepper cut length wise
- 36 cooked shrimps peeled and tail off
- 12 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 handful mint leaves chopped
- 1 handful cilantro stems chopped
- 36 cooked shrimps - peeled and tail off
- Step 1 Start by making the spicy peanut sauce.
- Step 2 Mix the spicy peanut sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Add water as needed to adjust the consistency.
- Step 3 Refrigerate the spicy peanut sauce until ready to use.
- Step 4 Next assemble the spring rolls
- Step 5 Fill a large bowl with very really warm water or set the bowl over low flame on a stove top.
- Step 6 Fully submerge a single sheet of rice paper in the warm water for 30 seconds or less. Shake off excess moisture. Now place the sheet on a clean, flat surface like a cutting board.
- Step 7 Place three cooked shrimp, in a row side by side, on the top portion of the rice paper.
- Step 8 Please a lettuce leaf on top of the shrimp, place 2 to 3 cucumber and 2 red pepper pieces lengthwise.
- Step 9 Add 1 tablespoon of carrots, some cilantro springs, and mint leaves. Roll the lettuce to create a roll.
- Step 10 Pull the top of the rice paper tightly over the shrimp and lettuce roll. Then fold the left side and right side of the rice paper over the lettuce roll and shrimp
- Step 11 Now roll down the roll until all of the rice paper is rolled over the lettuce and shrimp roll.
- Step 12 Repeat the same process until you’ve made all 12 shrimp rolls.
- Step 13 Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Step 14 Dip the spring roll in the spicy peanut sauce and enjoy, Delicious!!!
For more healthy recipes click here